Friday, July 9, 2010

Simulations

Online simulations have been a huge asset to me over the past several years. I consistently use PhET Simulations from University of Colorado. They always seem to load and the kids can easily figure them out. Mos often I use these to introduce new units as it gives the kids a chance to play with the concept and see how the different variable change outcome without having to get into the true science of it. One thing that also impresses me is how often they add new simulations. I like their physics based ones best, but the biology ones are even starting to prove useful. Another simulator of sorts that I have used, but not a huge fan of is the McDougal Littell Virtual Labs that came with our latest curriculum. The labs are decent to bring kids up to speed that may have missed a lab in class, but I really could not see using the virtual lab in replacement of a true lab. It is nice that a majority of the labs they have on their virtual list are ones that are not typically done in high school because of time or budget constraints. In the past I have done the Breeding Fruit Flies virtual lab, which sure beets having fruit flies buzzing all around the room/school.
My one fear with these improved simulators and labs is that we will enter a time when all kids will have to do is log on to a science site and do these labs and simulators in order to earn science credit. These can be useful tools, but can also lead to lazy science if not kept in check.

4 comments:

  1. I love to look at your blog as you are much more experienced than I am with all the technology and webtools. I hope to one day have more time to play with the tools in order to engage my students with the science and technology.
    I like some virtual labs because of high school budget and time constraints. Cyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used PhET with my physics and physical science students much in the same way you describe it. I have yet to try their biology based simulations, but it looks like I should give it a try. As far as the lab simulations that came with my curriculum, I haven't found them useful at all, many times because they are just a bit too simplistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think simulations (including PhET) are a great way to reinforce concepts and to help kids make sense of hands on activities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like using simulations also, particularly for labs that are not practical for our lab set-up. I do agree, though, that it would be unfortunate to move into the realm of 100% virtual labs.

    ReplyDelete