Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Feeling a bit sabatoged...

Internet attempt #4. First try today to get some work done resulted in frustration of extremely slow page load times (2-5 minutes). Second attempt at a coffeeshop I discovered that my school-issued MacBook will no longer load pages at all (not sure what it's picked up in the last day). Third attempt at same coffeeshop with personal MacBook worked well for five minutes before they decided to close an hour early. I'm not on try number 4 since 5:30 and it seems to be working well, but it's almost 10 and I'm tired. These technological woes seem pretty common place, which is why I have traditionally been reluctant to expand my reliance/use of web technology. Anybody have a magic potion or mantra that will remove this tech curse?
On a lighter note, I just played with Glogster for a few minutes and am excited to have my kids try it out. I think this will help level the creative playing field for many. I have some students that put all of their time into design and not enough into content, and some who turn in typed pages glued to poster boards showing no real creativity (I was/am this type of student). I'm thinking of using this as a day 1 activity with my skill-based science class to get an idea of their science "biography."

1 comment:

  1. Hah! I feel your pain. I've been at tech camp all week dealing with spotty wifi and a school filter. Tommorrow I'm heading off cross country with all three kiddo s we'll see how mobile blogging goes then! I also think gloster looks like a great way to get kids more engaged and give them the same resources. Our science fair joke us that some projects end up being the best their parents could buy. Of course, they all expect to win... Even when the science part stinks.

    ReplyDelete