Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ever-increasing view of literacy

As I've read more and looked into how to incorporate technology my view of literacy skills has grown. I've attended quite a few literacy workshops and the sort over the past few years and I can't remember a single one that really focused on tech-based forms of literacy. Watching some of TED videos and the viral videos got me thinking that there is a whole other world of science sources out there beyond the text books, journals, magazines, and blog sites. It's also seeming harder to motivate kids to read, so maybe these sources will work well. It seems easier to respond to some of the video based topics as it engages the kids more fully.
In addition to the literacy idea, communicating educated thoughts is also a major component. Does communication in a literate way mean written? I don't think so, and that's what I'm looking into now.

2 comments:

  1. Bringing in other resources is great, but don’t abandon textbooks and journals. Reading is a skill students need to develop. Because of all the different means in which information is now delivered (TV, YouTube, MP3, texting) students aren’t developing the reading and writing skills they need. Reading for most kids (including me when I was young) is like eating vegetables. You don’t like it but it’s good for you. So, like with brussel sprouts, force-feed your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in total agreement with keeping more traditional forms of reading and writing. Our school has a 30 minute quiet reading time for everyone everyday which has been an amazing time. We also do a bunch of short constructed response type assessments, so we do get our force-feeding in. It's just nice to make things more palatable and varied, like frying brussel sprouts in bacon grease.

    ReplyDelete