Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Brave New World?

After reading through the series of online articles and text chapters I find myself fairly encouraged by the possibilities for advancing my students' learning. I think what excites me most is that this will open me up to more student-driven assessments. I feel that I use technology quite a bit now, but after the readings, I am not using them very effectively. I rarely have my students collaborate when they design blogs. Though we have Vernier probes, I don't have them plot the data on the computers and manipulate that data (but that's because I have one computer in my classroom). I would love to find efficient ways have my students do all of this, but it will take a lot of practice on my part to get there. I think my biggest challenge, as I reflect now, is incorporating technology into my lower-level skills-based classes. I have a few of these and tend to avoid technology in the name of imparting basic concepts. I'm not sure if this is good or not, but I would like to find methods that my students can use that aren't so method/procedure heavy.

5 comments:

  1. One of the difficult sacrifices you make when incorporating anything new into your classroom is giving up instructional time. I want my students to use an online forum to share information and discuss class topics next semester, but if I do that I’m going to have to limit their normal homework load, and I’m not sure what to cut. If you incorporate probes, or any other new technology, gel electrophoresis equipment for example, that is going to take time and what are you going to cut? Decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hadley! We have had a couple of courses together now. I'm glad to 'see' you here. ;)
    You bring up a good point about time management in the classroom.....I am working on it too - what do my students HAVE to know for this course vs. what SHOULD my students know to be successful in their life-long education? Could you plot one groups data together, then analyze the one resulting graph? As most students won't need to know how to plot data later in life, but they should be rock stars at interpreting graphical information. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also struggle with how much class time to use doing a web based activity or an inquiry lab since they do take more time. I feel the time is worthwhile if the assignmnet if the students are really learning the content by doing the assignmnet. I teach general biology classes and will be teaching a lower level chemistry class next year. I try to use technology with these classes as well since I think it helps them visualize the concepts better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there is time upfront as WE adapt to our new methods to make them efficient but I find if I do inquiry activities well, web based or lab based or other, then I do not need as much instructional time. To me it is all about our efficiency.

    With my lower performing classes I find technology integration is resisted by students because, I think, of the barriers this students face in literacy. The web is full of language arts skills. Imagine the difficulty just using google when you struggle with spelling and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you about the need for better availability/access to computers for technology integration. Ten years ago, when I was one of 2-3 teachers using computers to gather, compile, and share lab data, use interactive sites to explore and learn etc. it was pretty easy for me to gain access for all my students. We had for my high school of ~950 two check out labs w/ 30 computers each not to mention the set of 10 science dept computers. Now that everyone is utilizing the computers for so many different subjects and for learning in a multitude of ways it is so difficult to get time for my classes on a regular basis even though we now have 5 checkout computer labs and 4 lap top carts for classes! Its expensive to keep them upgraded and and more often than not something isn't working properly! I think at some point, every kids is going to have to be issued a lap top just like we issue text books. Then we'll really be able to do some integration with limitless possibilities.

    ReplyDelete